Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I think I hate sports.

Actually, I know I do. I hate sports when they encroach on my personal time. Case in point. I've been eagerly awaiting the new season of The Good Wife. 2 of the last 3 weeks, it was preempted by (I assume) some damn sports event. Well, not exactly preempted. Worse. It was run in entirety. Later. Later as in the DVR only recorded the first half of the episode. If this is going to happen all the time, I now have to waste DVR space recording the program that follows to make sure I get the whole episode. Fine.

This brings up another annoying thing that the powers that be do. Running an episode past its allotted time slot. Since I'm setting up timers so tightly (back to back on different channels, 2 in one slot, etc), I can't tell it to record an extra 2-5 minutes or it messes with another timer. So I often miss the crucial last couple minutes that set up for the next episode. Grey's Anatomy is one that does this, but at least I'm also watching Private Practice which comes right after. I miss a few beats while I switch recordings, but at least I get the last words. Not always the case with other shows, though.

Speaking of The Good Wife. Last week (got the whole thing) there was the hottest most honest sex scene I have ever seen ever. Yeah, on primetime network tv. He had her against the wall and you only saw their heads the whole time. I was mesmerized.

Dancing With The Stars. Bored now. If sports gotta mess with my programming, take this one. Won't hurt my feelings a bit. The judges have gone soft and are giving high scores across the board. Well, I guess that's their only option since everybody is equally mediocre and boring.

I've already given up on The X Factor. The auditions were kind of interesting for the really bad ones, but that's why we watch the auditions, you know. Now that they've got through that, it's just too boring for me. And it's conflicting with other things I'd rather watch.

Verizon rant. I just invested in a new mobile broadband modem. The offer lowered my data plan by $10 a month if I got the new modem and 4G plan. Well, saving $10 is good, and with the rebate, the modem was free. Right now, that's all that's good about it. The problem is I don't yet have 4G here. The modem is supposed to connect to the 3G signal in the meantime. It does, but not reliably. In fact, I think I have a faster connection than I had with the old 3G modem. When I have it.

I'm thinking the problem is the new software. It looks the same as the old one, but it doesn't work the same. It's fuckin wonky, and I think I know why. I just found out that the big cities about an hour from here just got 4G. I think the modem is detecting that 4G signal, but it's not strong enough to connect. I'm left in limbo with no connection because the software can't resolve it and it gets stuck on the 4G signal. After much cussing, rebooting, and pissed offedness, I learned that if I unplug the modem and then plug it back in, it forces the software to reset, and I get the 3G connect button back. In the time it's taken to write this much, it disconnected more times than I counted.

I'm trying something else as I write this. I was barely getting 2 bars with the old 3G modem, and hanging it high in the window seemed to help maintain a reliable connection. It looks like this modem is more powerful, and maybe by placing it lower, it won't be so sensitive to that faint 4G signal. I tried it sitting on the desk the last couple days but it was still wonky. It's now hanging lower than my desk top. So far so good.

Good day.