Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I want that.

Gadget Pron was one of my favorite segments on Attack of the Show.  They reviewed and rated gadgets, and I will really miss this.  I don't know where else to get hands-on reviews.  Reading a review or watching a carefully crafted and probably biased video doesn't give me what I need to know.  I want an unbiased visual opinion.  Matt Mira took over Gadget Pron after Chris Hardwick moved on and I like both guys.  They're smart and funny, and they know their gadgets.

A lot of the things they review aren't really of interest to me, but I always watched it through.  I might need to know that someday.  Like smart phones.  Don't see me having one.  But cameras, computers, tablets.  I might get one.

I'd like a tablet but not enough to get one right now.  Internet connectivity is the main issue there.  My internet is via a mobile broadband modem plugged into my pc and run with software.  Not compatible with current tablets.  I'd have to buy into a separate data plan from a wireless carrier, and I can't justify another expensive wireless bill.  Have to make do with what I've got.

Then the new Microsoft Surface began to tease in tv commercials.  Ooooh...

I was so happy to see it handled on Gadget Pron this week.  And he likes it, he really likes it.  Matt Mira admits to being an Apple loyalist so this was saying a lot.  He gave it 4.5 out of 5.  He docked it for not yet having a well stocked app store, and the initial release is only available with wifi.  He said (I paraphrase) the build was excellent, the docking (with magnets!) keyboard/cover and kickstand were nifty, and the OS fairly smooth.

Yeah, that's the kinds of things I want to know.  I went looking to see what I could find out about its capabilities for alternative internet connects.  It just might (I hope I hope) accept my modem.  It all depends on whether I can load the modem's software, or maybe they'll even build something in to streamline it for exterior modems.  It has a USB port for it, so that part is good to go.

Yep, I'll be watching this gadget.  Not right away, but someday in the not too distant future.  They should have the bugs worked out, and hopefully the price lowered by the time I'm ready to commit.


Good morning.