Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Wow

I...I am...just...wow.

Before I go any further, let me start with a disclaimer of sorts.  It's not that I was for Clinton.  It's that I was NOT for Trump.  I would have been ok with almost any other Republican president, but not THAT one.

I watched my favorite voices of reason this morning, hoping to at least get something to smile about.  Even there, all I saw was raw emotion.  They tried to make us laugh, they did, but even they had a hard time finding anything to joke about.  It's not funny anymore.  We are now a realty tv show, and not the fun kind.

I made a little post on Facebook.  Very little because we have to now be very careful what we say on social media.  You know he will go after anyone who says mean things about him.  I wonder how that will affect my comedy news teams.  They're my refuge from the real news.  I truly fear for many of our freedoms, and two of the most important are freedom of speech and freedom of press.

Facebook would only let me use one of those "feeling" things in that post, and I went back and forth through that list trying to find the one that covered what I'm feeling.  There were so many, how to choose.  I ended up with " feeling worried", but I'm also feeling scared, disappointed, sad, ashamed, disgusted, and yeah, a little bit angry.  The more I think about it, scared does seem to cover it the best.

Here's what I fear for the country.

We now have a very right-leaning Republican controlled government.  He says he's for all the people, but that can't be under this administration.  It just won't, because the Right isn't for all the people.  The people who elected him certainly aren't.  The Constitution is in great danger from this regime.

This is going to affect us for a long long time.  The turmoil, the unrest, the anger, the bigotry, the fear.  I saw a Trumper post somewhere that said something to the effect, "Make America great again because nobody likes us anymore".  Oh, you think the world is going to like us now?  We just proved that America is basically a country full of hateful, bigoted, sexist white people.  From what I've seen, the rest of the world is as anxious as we reasonable Americans are right now.  Oh sure, this will go down in history, but that doesn't mean a history to be proud of.

The economy?  He says he'll fix it because that's what he's good at.  We still don't know where his financial allegiances lie because he never released the documents that prove he isn't aligned with nefarious entities.  We also don't know his true business practices.  Again, no proof it's all on the up and up.  I'm pretty sure any economic "fixes" will benefit him and his legacy, and his cronies.  Not the middle and lower classes he claims he wants to help.  Oh and get ready for another major war.  I think you can bank on that.  No, wait, maybe you better bury your money in the backyard.

Foreign policy and economics?  He's told us what he wants to do with that.  Buckle in, kids, and start hoarding your goodies.  Look around at what you have, and imagine if you can still have that if global trade and economy breaks down.  That fancy smart gadget in your pocket?  Your electronic toys?  Pfft.  You'll be lucky if you can afford them.  We need to get along with the rest of the world.

He stated he would shred the Johnson Amendment giving the church the freedom to lobby in government politics.  The church is an extremely rich industry thanks to its tax exemptions, and corrupt nature.  Non-christians would lose their voices, and very likely their freedoms.  This very wealthy entity would have more than enough power to influence educational policy by insisting the bible be included in science and history curriculums.  We already rank way lower than we should when it comes to education in primary schools.  How sad and shameful to dumb down bright young minds even more.  My taxes could pay for something I neither support or get benefit from.  The exact opposite in fact, I could be forced to pay for destroying my own freedoms.

The other freedoms we've gained since women earned the right to vote?  Equal rights?  Marriage rights?  Respect for women?  Respect for anybody?  Say goodbye.  When we first heard "Stop and Frisk", little did we know that literally meant grab whoever/whatever you want.

So good job, Murica.  You get to keep your guns (which were never at risk), and own your bigotry.  Long live King Midas, and fuck the rest of us.

Here's what I fear for myself.

I depend on the health of the auto industry and Social Security for my livelihood and medical insurance.  The loss of either could put me out of my home.  So I have a great fear of this administration's unclear economic policies that I'm pretty sure won't have me in mind.

I'm a non.  Will I be forced to acknowledge a mythology as the law of the land?  Forced to swear legal oaths on a god and ancient adulterated text?  Forced to trust in a god I don't believe in, let alone trust?  Forced to put the word god on my car's license plate?  Forced to bow my head in meaningless and trivial prayer?  Forced to say Merry Christmas?  Will I be discriminated against, vilified, or burned at the stake for my lack of faith in a higher power.  Will I be forced to hide?

I'm feeling so much right now.  I'm having a hard time finding the words.  I don't want to write about this ever again.  It's done, and we have to figure out a way to live with it.  Don't know what happens next.  My pessimistic part says maybe it's a good thing I'm in the late afternoon of my years.  I'm not sure I'd want to be young right now.  The thought of a long uncertain and unsettled future would be even scarier than my less long one.

I will try not to write about this ever again.  At least until it does affect me personally.  But no guarantees.  I have buttons that can be pushed.  This will require much self-indulgence, libation, and total immersion in my fandoms and guilty pleasures to cleanse my palette.  Tall order, that.

P.S.  We will miss you, Mr. President and Mrs. Obama!  Sooo much!  There will never be a First Couple as cool as you!

tnt