Saturday, February 29, 2020

OK, Boomer

Yeah, I'm a Boomer.  I'm gonna talk about music.  Boomer music.  My music.

Whenever a golden oldie comes on, I'm reminded of a thing.  Even if I haven't heard the song in a really really long time, I still know it.  I can sing along, and I do sing along because I remember the words and can't help myself.  My music is classic rock.  Really classic.  Like Paul Revere and the Raiders classic.  Herman's Hermits classic.  Monkees classic.  Janis Joplin classic.  And yes, Beatles classic.  60's and 70's classic.  Pretty much anything from those decades, I will know it.  I remember the words, I can sing along, I can't help myself.  Simpler lyrics.  Simpler times.  And I like that.

I'm not sure future generations will be able to do that.  At least not on the broad scale we had.  I'm pretty sure rap or hip hop music won't be remembered word for word.  I don't think it's a stretch to say that most people can't commit rap lyrics to memory.  It's just too rapid fire and unrepeated.  Or most pop music.  These days, songs are trying so hard to convey a topical message that the lyrics are lost in the message.  Pop music (what we used to call Pop 40's) like Lady Gaga or Katie Perry or Taylor Swift might stand the test of time, mostly because the lyrics are simpler, less topical, easier to connect with and remember.  But most won't.

Sometimes simpler lyrics and simpler times are worth remembering and revisiting.  Never lose your music.  The music you sing along with.

tnt