Friday, June 25, 2010

Social Networking

Facebook, Twitter, and the like seem to taken over the internet and peoples' lives. Yeah, their lives. Some people actually live for Facebook. Cell phones are now equipped with Facebook apps so that Facebookers won't miss a single second. God forbid they do.

Yes, I have a FB account. It was a way to reconnect with old friends and family, and I can see its value in that respect. But is it an effective communication tool? Is it really social networking? Not from what I've seen. I've acquired a rather large collection of "friends", and the news feeds tell me what they are up to. What are they up to? Silly FB games, mostly. My FB page is cluttered with this shit that I don't care about. It's interesting that once a player became bored with the game, I don't hear any more from them. I tried a few games at first but became bored even faster than my friends.

Oh there's a few that post some personal status reports now and then. Some obscure thought they had, or song lyric they heard. Maybe what happened to them that day, or what they plan to do. Or they try to generate some comments and/or sympathy with a vague reference to nothing. "Vaguebooking" is a new word created for that last activity.

There's a commercial on tv for one of the cell phone companies that says it all. A serious guy is giving a "news report" with a fancy phone in his hand. He reads, "This just in from Facebook...the search is on for cute boots." It's hilarious that the company running the ad is poking fun at itself, the apps it offers, and the people who will buy this product.

What I see is that other more effective forms of communication are being used less. Especially forums and groups. I see less activity on forums, and that's sad. Forums are a great reference tool. Members post their questions, get answers, and it's arranged so that someone else can easily access the info they need. On FB, it's just a hodgepodge with no organization. How is that better communication? I've even seen forum posts that reference FB. "If you saw my FB, you'd know...". Only "friends" would know, you know. Why mention it at all if you aren't going to talk about it?

Another thing I see is that FB can cause strife. Someone makes a comment, usually vague or in regards to something no one knows jack about, and someone else assumes it was directed at them, and gets pissed. Then it's a dominoes stack as it reverberates down the line. If your FB and others are set up so that "friends of friends" can see what's going on, you don't have to be a friend to get the feed, you'll get it because one of your friends did.

What do I use FB for? Not much. It's just too public for my taste. I don't really like when someone posts on my wall because then I feel obligated to reply. I prefer to do that more privately. Like I said, it was a way to connect with family and old friends, but that's as far as it went. Even a lot of those people are using it less and less. Haven't heard a peep out of many of them for quite a while. Oh wait, maybe they blocked me because of all the crap that comes through from my other "friends" that they don't want cluttering up their FB page.