Monday, June 7, 2010

Dis & Dat on TV

So You Think You Can Dance has begun. Just finished up the auditions and Vegas Week will decide the 10 contestants. Not sure how I feel about this new format.

Past seasons' favorites will be paired up with the 10. That will be pretty cool, but it sounds like a shorter season. I liked the old format where dancers who lost their partner to eliminations were paired with another who lost their partner. This new way, no one gets a 2nd chance. They are saved or eliminated on their own merit (and their semi-pro partner's ability to show them off) instead of 1 girl and 1 guy. Like I said, probably a shorter season.

About the auditions. There is so much fluff and filler that we don't get to see more auditions. That's why we watch the auditions, you know! We wanna see the good, bad, and ugly. The goofs who think they can dance are hilarious! I love the snits and tantrums. The flaming gay boys are the worst divas! They think they are all that, but they are just all that silly. They add comic relief. Focusing on a sob story makes no sense if the audition didn't make the grade. I could see it if the audition made it to the final contestants, but most of them don't. Show more auditions in that space!

And another thing. There hasn't been enough variety. Mostly we've seen contemporary dancers and for the most part, they all look the same. Not many B-boys or other styles have been shown and I like to see unique. Have we just run out of talent in those areas?

Speaking of talent, America's Got Talent has also started. Sure am glad these 2 shows aren't in the same time slots. Not that I think AGT compares to SYTYCD. It's more like The Gong Show vs. American Idol. At least my DVR can handle 2 time slots at a time.

This is another show filled with unnecessary filler. I don't frackin care about the sad sob stories! Show me the goofy auditions. IF they make it to the contest, then you can fill in the back stories. But even then I don't give a rat's ass.

So far, I've only seen one audition that impressed me. Another humble guitar strumming singer like that chicken farmer last season, but much better looking. Now he has talent!

Howie Mandel replaced The Hoff as a judge. I like that. It seems there is less tension between the judges now. Maybe just the transition as Howie settles in, but he has such a quick wit I'll enjoy him. He's up there with George Carlin as one of my favorite comedians.

Just watched the season finale of Flash Forward. They're killing me! I literally stomped my feet and swore out loud at the end! Questions were not answered. Well ok, some were, but more were raised. I guess that was the plan for a cliffhanger ending. It's gonna be a long long wait to season 2. They better not cancel it on me!

Some of my other must-watch tv is coming back, as well as some interesting new ones. I'll say it again...thank the techno-gods for DVR. It's the only way to watch tv!

By now you are probably thinking, "What, is this blog just about tv?" Well, for now I don't have anything else to rant or rave about so yeah I'm talking tv. I'm sure something else will occur to me eventually.