Sunday, November 27, 2011

Agnostic or Atheist

In the Beginning, I stated I'm agnostic. I've always referred to myself this way in the belief that it's the best word to describe my lack of belief in a higher power, my lack of religion. I felt Atheist didn't fit me as Atheism seems to be a religion itself, a crusade of sorts. But I'm not out to convince anyone else to not believe the way I do. I just have no religion, no beliefs.

If I didn't already know this, an experience in school made me realize it. This was an extracurricular literature class on Mythology. We were assigned to write a theory of afterlife, a myth about it. I couldn't. I had no concept of afterlife, no idea, no fantasy of what it would be like. I had nothing. I cheated and drew on an obscure element from mythology and very vaguely built on that. Basically, I wrote about Nothing. I never felt I successfully completed the assignment. If the assignment was an exercise in imagination, and I think it was, I surely failed there. I couldn't imagine it.

After seeing some online discussions that made me question the label I gave myself, I thought it would be a good idea to research some terms. The following definitions are taken from Dictionary.com.

Religion:
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

Doctrine:
1. a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.
2. something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.

Deism:
1. belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation ( distinguished from theism).
2. belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it.

Theism:
1. the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation ( distinguished from deism).
2. belief in the existence of a god or gods ( opposed to atheism).

Atheism:
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Agnosticism:
1. the doctrine or belief of an agnostic.
2. an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

Agnostic:
1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience. Synonyms: disbeliever, nonbeliever, unbeliever; doubter, skeptic, secularist, empiricist; heathen, heretic, infidel, pagan.
2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.
3. a person who holds neither of two opposing positions on a topic: Socrates was an agnostic on the subject of immortality.

Paganism:
1. pagan spirit or attitude in religious or moral questions.
2. the beliefs or practices of pagans.
3. the state of being a pagan.

Pagan:
1. one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks.
2. a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.
3. an irreligious or hedonistic person.


Ok then. Now I know. Let's pick this apart a little to see if I can figure out where I am.

I'll start with Religion and Doctrine. The definition of Atheism includes doctrine. Atheists "teach" their doctrine, same as Christians or Buddhists. Sounds like religion to me. Interesting that Agnosticism also includes the word doctrine. Maybe doctrine is actually just ideas.

There's a fine line between Deism and Theism. Deists acknowledge a creator, but that was the end of its role in earthly life. Theists believe that this creator is in control of daily life and destiny. Both believe in a higher power. Definitely not me.

As I thought, Atheism is a doctrine, a teaching, a belief, a religion. I suppose its doctrine could apply to me, but it still isn't quite right. I don't believe there is no god, I just don't believe in the concept of god, I can't imagine it. Believe it or not, there is a bit of difference there. I think the main reason Atheist doesn't apply to me is that I'm not trying to convince everybody else. At the same time, I reject anyone's attempt to convert me. You can't and you won't.

I think Agnostic is still the best label for me. I think we don't and will never know the truth. Whether because there is no way to know, or there isn't anything to know, I don't know, and it's not important that I know. Two of the synonyms for Agnostic are nonbeliever and pagan.

Hmmm, I could be Pagan. "a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim"; "an irreligious or hedonistic person". That definitely describes me, except that modern paganism is a practicing religion, which doesn't apply to me.

I guess I'll stick with Agnostic. That's still as close as I can get. Maybe we need a new word.


Good morning.