Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Black Friday

Nope, didn't participate. Never have, never will. There's nothing I need or want badly enough to join that insanity. I did poke around the net on Cyber Monday, but there weren't any deals for me.

So I went in Walmart on Monday. Still not really needing anything but on the lookout for things I kinda wanted. It was a calm normal day for shopping. The insanity was over, and Walmart staff had cleaned up the mess I'm sure was left in the wake. Kudos to the staff! I wouldn't want to be them.

One of the departments I always cruise is electronics. I've been wanting a Blue-Ray player so I've been watching prices. It's one of those things everybody will need someday. Like when we had to give up VHS for DVD, Blue-Ray will make DVD obsolete eventually. I hadn't made the commitment yet, and still bought DVDs. I looked at BR players online to see what prices were doing, and I read reviews of the ones that interested me. One thing I saw was that not all are as good for DVDs. They are supposed to play them, but some brands had issues with older DVDs. That worried me, I've got quite a library now.

They are already pushing BR harder. The last DVDs I bought were the final installments of Pirates of Caribbean and Harry Potter. I was pretty disgusted that they were only available in a Blue-Ray/DVD combo pack. I was forced to pay BR price for the DVD. OK, maybe not forced exactly. If I'd waited, I'm sure I'd have found the DVD only price. But I wanted them now, and it would give me a chance to see what all the fuss is about Blue-Ray. When I got a BR player.

Back to Walmart. I cruised around looking at this and that, not seeing anything I needed/wanted, at least not at a price I was willing to pay. As I wheeled into electronics, there it was on an end display. BR player for $49! Score! That was the price I was willing to pay to give it a try. It was an LG which had always been one of the cheapest brands, but also one with less than stellar reviews. For that price I'd risk it. I could always return it if I didn't like it.

So far so good! Set up was easy. I only had to take the audio and video cables out of the old player and plug them in. Just in case, the BR player sits on top of the old one so I can quickly hook it back up. BTW, it's considerably smaller than the old DVD player. That's a plus. So is the remote, but that's not that great when it's black with tiny buttons. I think all remotes should be silver so you can see what you're doing in dim light.

Another issue in reviews was sound. BR is supposed to be better, but some consumers had issues with sound not being converted correctly by some sound systems. One mentioned the Bose 3-2-1 in particular. Damn, that's what I have. I've had this thing for many years, it's the oldest component in my "home theater". It has a DVD/CD player built in but that damn thing burnt out after the 1st year. Word to the wise - don't buy combo units. Part of it will die, and usually sooner than a separate component.

I do love the Bose, though, and would probably buy another one when the time comes. For my needs and space, it gives excellent sound, and I don't need a new one yet. They did come out with a new system based on the 3 speaker concept from the 3-2-1. Highly expensive, but hopefully by the time I need it, the price will come down.

So I tested it with the BR of Pirates. I didn't want to watch the whole thing again, I had just seen it, so I just watched bonus features. OK yeah, better picture. I don't have a high end TV (actually pretty low end) so I didn't expect the best picture that could be had, but I could tell the difference. It was like the difference between HD and regular TV. No problem with the sound. I couldn't tell if it was better, it sounded the same to me...excellent.

What surprised me was that DVD looked better. I can't remember which are the oldest ones in my collection so I pulled out one that should give a good test. I used the SyFy version of Dune which I've had for a few years. Very sharp and detailed picture. I really noticed it on pause. It might be that the old DVD player (almost as old as the Bose) is wearing out or was never that good to begin with, but it was definitely an improvement. I'm pleased. I also got hooked into watching the entire Dune series again. Got through 3 of the 5 discs last night.

The next test is Netflix. I'm expecting the latest in the mail. I checked to see if Blue-ray costs more. Of course it fucking does! $3 extra a month. Don't think I'm willing to pay that for 2 out at a time. Since DVD looks better anyways, I can live without it. If Netflix tries to force me into a higher priced BR package, that's probably the day I quit Netflix.

I suppose I'll be buying BR from now on. It's hard to resign to paying the higher price, but I guess it really isn't that bad. At Walmart, where I get all mine, it's $3-$5 difference. That's actually about what I used to give for DVDs. If I could force myself to wait a little longer, I could probably pay less as older stuff always gets marked down. Doubt that will happen. When I buy a movie, it's one I've been waiting for.

Oh just remembered there's another test. Music. I haven't had a good CD player in the house since the Bose player died. I just listen to Dish Network's audio channels. I'll have to check the manual to see if there's an MP3 hook up. That would be cool. I have it in my car which is much better than storing a CD collection out there. Most of my music is MP3 files, anyways. Don't see the jack on the front of the unit. Would be rather inconvenient if it has to go in the back.

Good morning.